Tuesday, September 16, 2008

sinner vs sin

Pastor related a story at church last Sunday -

If you were caught and reprimanded for drunk driving and got yourself into the headlines on the Sunday paper, would you still go to church? 

Of course only a minority of people put their hands up. Pastor concluded the story saying that if someone got into an accident, and is in a bleeding mess, would that person reject going to the hospital and instead insist on going home to get cleaned up first? 

Hmm.. I don't know about the hospital metaphor, it just doesn't quite click with me anymore. For one thing, some hospitals seriously make me think twice about wanting to be admitted. Perhaps I'd rather bleed to death on the sidewalk, than bleed to death in the hospital waiting room, cause the latter is just way too pathetic. Sampai hospital pun masih mati. sheesh. 

And secondly, before meeting the Healer in the church, one must first endure the many many 'untrained' and 'unsympathetic' nurses and staff which, frankly, is a major put off. Like I said, bleed to death in the waiting room. 

It doesn't surprise me that my answer is 'no, I won't go to church, but!' (aha, there's a 'but') But I know that I'll still show up in CF. (or maybe another church. :p) Even though during the time I attended CF I was considered a 'leader' and 'leaders shouldn't, wouldn't and can't get into that sort of thing' yet I choose to believe that these bunch of crazy people would --

1. be more relieved that i didn't DIE drunk driving
2. be more worried about what motivated me to drink and drive
3. prolly not believe everything the newspaper says (heck most of them don't read newspapers anyway!)
4. judge less and laugh more
5. invite me to supper every other night to make sure it doesn't happen again (and not allow me to drive)
6. upgrade me to legendary status (along with the likes of Kae ee and Kenny Corn), and forever deck the history walls of CFMMU

no, I'm serious. they would. Esp #6. :p

Ok, I would go to DU, and that's mainly cause I can get myself lost in the crowd and well, 90% of the people there don't know me. and i think 60% of those that do will react more or less like the above mentioned. 

Sigh. What's wrong with church today?