I am Malaysian
I am Chinese. I know the things that has been said about my race, and yes, it has hurt me. I also know the things that my race has said about others, and yes, it has hurt me too. I've heard the threats, the warnings, the reminders about how we thread the line so finely. And I am sorry. I am sorry that after so long, we still can not be at peace with ourselves.
I am Christian. I know the things that has been said about my beliefs, and yes, it has hurt me. I also know the things that my brethren has said about others, and yes, it has hurt me too. I've heard the injustice, the oppression, the tearing down of churches, the court cases, the reminders about how we thread this line so finely. And I am sorry. I am sorry that through out all these, we still have not learnt to be at peace with ourselves.
And I am Malaysian. Born and bred. Holding valid identification and license to be here. Having friends of many races - Malay, Indian, Chinese, Kadazan, Iban, Peranakan - and of many beliefs - Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism. I believe in a greater Malaysian. A Malaysia of peace and unity. A Malaysia for Malaysians.
On behalf of the Chinese, I sincerely apologise. We as a race have shown to be less than accommodating and considerate towards others. We have, whether jokingly or seriously, put down and criticised others without first attempting to correct ourselves. As we rise up to accuse others for being racists, we ourselves have been guilty of racism.
On behalf of the Christians, I sincerely apologise. We have, at many times, portrayed ourselves to be more superior than any other. We have lacked in giving and yet complained about not receiving. We have judged and pointed fingers, shifting the blame without standing up for what is just and righteous. As we rise up to accuse others for being zealous, we ourselves have been guilty of complacency.
And on behalf of Malaysia, I sincerely plea to you, please, now is the time for us to get back on our feet, now is the time for us to come together as one united nation, to toppled injustice and regain our dignity. Now is the time to look beyond race and religion and prove that it really CAN be achieved. We will fight, but in peace. We will stand, but in harmony. Believe in a better Malaysia. Believe in a Malaysia for Malaysians.
Light a candle. For Malaysia.


<< Home