Monday, October 01, 2007

role call

I went for this last Wednesday together with Dawg.

It's an overwhelming experience. The sound of hundreds of court shoes against the pavement, the banners, the signs, the rain and the cries for justice.

How do you put into words the feeling of hearing a crowd of lawyers shouting for justice?
Doesn't Lawyer = Justice in the first place?

There's something seriously wrong in my country.

Here's the issue that sparked the march and what's happening now and the petition.

During the march, I asked Dawg a thought that came to mind
"Dawg, do you see any Christians?"
"Erm.. I wouldn't know actually"
"Well, our circle isn't that big.. you're bound to recognize some familiar faces.."
*after looking around for a while*
"But I suppose.. we're not old enough yet huh?"

I felt increasingly bothered as the rain came and poured down, even after we'd left for clean, dry clothes and a warm lunch. Even, now.

Where? Where were the Christians? What is our role in all of this? Isn't the church the pillar of righteousness? Aren't we supposed to be the voice of Truth and of justice? Do we still choose the fence, the sidelines, the we'll-pray-but-won't-take-action?

I'm confused.

What IS our part as the Church in Malaysia, as Malaysian Christians? Are we only to stand up when trouble comes directly to our backyards and not bother when it's not? So does that mean that Church and State can NOT mix, spiritually and politics are of two different matters, my religion and my love for my country are two separate issues?

Yes, things aren't looking good, things doesn't seem to be getting very much better, and so we either run or we stay and cover our ears with our hands, sing out loudly with our eyes shut.

Lord, I'm confused. What are we to do? Pray? I do not doubt it's power but is that it? Shut ourselves in our churches and pray?

....


Labels: , ,